Monday, July 23, 2007

Is it a bird..is it a bug?.....

On the weekend I was watering my flower beds when I heard and saw what I thought was a young hummingbird, flitting from larkspur to larkspur, sipping nectar. When it flew closer, I realized that this was no hummingbird. He/she stayed for quite a while and I tried to get decent pictures of it. Finally it flew away.




Upon investigation via the internet, it turns out to be neither. Instead it is a hummingbird clearwing moth.
Never ever so anything like it before! Have you?

5 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger far north fagans said...

What a doozy! I think I've heard of them, but haven't seen one. I think perhaps our climes are too cool for such a monster. Nice pictures of him (her).

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Dan said...

nevermind sue, climate change is expanding the hummingbird clearwing moth's territory as we speak! you'll have one in no time.

that thing is a crazy bird! (bug)

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Margot said...

I think it looks like a lobster with wings.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger harpstrings said...

That's a new one on me-never heard of it....

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Megan said...

Wow, was I ever glad to see your photo (and explanation). Michael and I were looking at the same insect at the farm a few weeks ago, and were quite baffled.

Megan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home